Note you may need to click 'Refresh' to see the latest details
Easton Royal in the Vale of Pewsey, in the county of Wiltshire, is a Parish whose boundaries have had only one minor change in over 500 years. It is in the Hundred of Kinwardstone, and the Diocese of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, due to its association with the Trinitarian Priory founded in 1246 by Adam de Easton. After the dissolution this became one of the homes of the Seymour family, whose most famous daughter was Queen Jane, wife of Henry VIII.
The Heritage Group was set up to promote awareness of the history and traditions of the village, and to preserve and make available documents, literature and records relating to it.
We hold talks in the Village Hall about every other month, on a wide range of topics of local and wider interest.
Most years, to prevent our becoming totally inward looking, we have a trip to some site of interest. Trips have included the Roman villa at Chedworth, Ironbridge, Bletchley Park, Windsor Castle, and Portsmouth Dockyard.
We hold an archive of documents which may be consulted on request. It is our aim that in due course at least some of this will be put on line. A summary of the contents is found here.
Every other year we organize Beating the Bounds, by courtesy of local farmers we are able to access most of the parish boundary. The alternate year features a car boot sale to raise funds.
The site of the Priory has been the subject of a geophysical survey by the Archaeological Historical Landscape Research Group earlier this year, and we hope this will continue.
Annual General Meeting
- Not Rabbit Stew Again! -
- by Richard Giles -