Easton Royal Heritage Group


1199 First known mention of Easton in a description of the boundary of Savernake.  This ran down the village street, the eastern side of which was in the village, and the western side outside.JOHN
1210Stephen of Tisbury, son of Manorial lord, Sir Adam de Estun becomes parish priest. 
1245On the death of Sir Adam, Stephen inherits the manor and turns it into a Priory or Hospice to "serve God and to give hospitality to poor travellers".  He chose a Trinitarian monk Nicholas of Norfolk as the first prior and handed over administration to the Trinitarians, a small French order of friars.  Stephen went on to become Archdeacon of Wiltshire.HENRY III
1251Easton Priory becomes the 6th hospital of the Holy Trinity in England. 
1368Black Death depleted the population to 10 families left in the parish.EDWARD III
1369Parish church combined with Priory chapel at the request of the villagers. 
1377Poll Tax return shows only 66 taxpayers in the village.RICHARD II
1391Priory in a ruinous condition.  To help them recover the friars were granted the tithes of Tidcombe Church.  Also Sir William Esturmy grants them the manor and advowson of Froxfield. 
1427 The Seymour family acquire Wolf Hall by marriage to the Esturmy heiress Matilda. HENRY VI
Priory badly damaged by fire.HENRY VII
1525First record of a copyhold lease in Easton. Thomas Pyke held Lower Farm.HENRY VIII
1535Henry VIII married Jane Seymour, daughter of Sir John Seymour, Warden of Savernake Forest. 
1536Act of Dissolution.  Ownership of the Priory and all its land vested in Edward Seymour.  Trinitarian Friars were dispersed.  The last Prior, Henry Bryan stayed on as curate of the parish church under the new protestant regime. 
1591New parish church built on the pre-1368 site on the west side of the Street.  Sir John Seymour's body moved from Easton to Great Bedwyn church.ELIZABETH I
1655Major Wildman arrested in Easton for plotting against Cromwell.  Somehow he escaped with his life and went on to be an unsuccessful Parliamentary candidate for Marlborough.PROTECTORATE 
1676The Bruce connection - Lady Elizabeth Seymour married Thomas Bruce, the Earl of Ailesbury.CHARLES II
1660 - 1685
1680The Duchess of Beaufort, mother of Lady Elizabeth claims her daughter and son-in-law have rendered the house uninhabitable.  
1738Several generations of the Seymour and Bruce families continued to live at Easton mansion until 1738 when they moved to Tottenham Park.GEORGE II
1763Great festival for local people held on Easton Clump to celebrate the first birthday of George, the son of Sir Thomas Brudenell-Bruce, Earl of Ailesbury.  This was the beginning of the annual Revels held Trinity Monday, and formerly famous for Back Sword playing.GEORGE III
1773The mansion no longer appears on maps or records, and is assumed to have been demolished 
1783Easton House built with mansard roof for Giles Hearn tenant of the estate 
1805 Fee-paying school opened with schoolmaster Mr Sparks. 
1810 Kennet and Avon Canal opened. REGENCY - PRINCE GEORGE
1842Gammon of Bacon coaching inn burnt down. VICTORIA
1845Home Farm built at a cost of £78 10s 1d for Mrs Elizabeth Kimber. 
1846Bruces Arms built to replace the Gammon on the other side of the road.  To this day it is referred to as "The Gammon". 
1852Church and churchyard redesigned by T H Wyatt under the auspices of the Marquis of Ailesbury. 
1862Great Western Railway extended to Pewsey. 
1864David Herbert Llewellyn, son of the Vicar of Easton drowned off Cherbourg while serving as surgeon on the CSS Alabama during a battle with the USS Kearsarge. 
1871Easton National School opened with J W Pearce as schoolmaster, plus assistant teachers Mrs Pearce and Mary Jane Beckingham and Mrs C Smith, sewing mistress 
1871Easton Royal raises £6 6s 0d (of which £1 was from the Wesleyans) for the relief of the citizens of Paris during the Franco-Prussian War  
1899Methodist Chapel opened, but later congregations declined and it closed in the 1950s.  It is now a private house.  
1929Savernake Estate sold. Many tenants take the opportunity to purchase their propertiesGEORGE V
1930Electricity comes to the village.  Three lights and a plug are provided free for each house. 
1935Village Hall opened by the Earl of Cardigan. 
1960B3098 straightened to allow free flow of East-West traffic, causing the loss of the original village green. ELIZABETH II
1961Sir Henry Howarth Bashford of the White House, honorary surgeon to King George VI died at his home. He bought the Recreation Ground for the village. 
1975Easton Royal is designated a Conservation Area. 
1994The Revels revived with a Victorian theme. 
2000Millenium Party at the Village Hall.  Revels with Henry VIII theme. 
2006Formation of Easton Royal Heritage Group 
2007Edwardian themed Revels combined with celebration of the Choules family 100 years in the same village house.